Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Comparative Religion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 PM
Marble Offline
Religion: Jai Bhagavan Ramana
Title:Rolling Marble

Frubals: 169
Marble goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'Marble goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'Marble goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'Marble goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'
Question The Soul

Does it exist?
What characteristics does it have?
How & when does a soul get attached to a particular human body?
Has the soul a special place in the body, does it reside in the heart, the brain, the liver,...?
Are the souls of men & women different (why & in which way)?
Do animals have souls?
Do plants have souls?
Is the number of souls limited?
Can the soul be touched by sin?
What happens to the soul after the body has died?
Is the soul affected by the way a body is buried (correct, incorrect)?
Can a soul die?

[Edit] Forgot one question: Can to souls unite to become one soul (for instance when 2 people marry)?

Last edited by Marble; 03-04-2012 at 09:54 AM..
Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 924
Me Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares up

Soul is all that exists.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 PM
The Sum of Awe Offline
Religion: Universal Soul (Qi)
Title:Realitarian
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your creative and innovative contributions to the forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Sum. 

Frubals: 709
The Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
Does it exist?
I, personally, think if the soul exists it is materialistic.
Quote:
IMO, probably made of atoms like everything else.
Quote:
The same way the rest of the flesh does.

Quote:
Has the soul a special place in the body, does it reside in the heart, the brain, the liver,...?
If the soul were spiritualistic and not materialistic, I'd say this is where I find the problem at... If it is not physical, then it cannot really be in a specific area.
Quote:
Not in my opinion.
Quote:
Do animals have souls?
Do plants have souls?
Yes, we are animals why would others not have one And what about the couple billion years before humans became human, we were animals then too, did we just get souls after then

Yes to plants also.

Quote:
Well, physical energy cannot be created or destroyed, in the same way matter can't, so it is limited to how much energy and mass exist in the universe.
Quote:
No, there is no such thing as sin, IMO.
Quote:
The soul decays since it is made of atoms.
Quote:
No.
Quote:
Can a soul die?
It decays, like your body does, but technically the atoms are always around.

"I needn't explain my beliefs, they're all around me."
"What helps you sleep at night, might not let you wake up."
The Sum of Awe

"The universe begins to look more and more like a great thought than a great machine." James Jeans
Old 03-03-2012, 10:30 PM
The Sum of Awe Offline
Religion: Universal Soul (Qi)
Title:Realitarian
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your creative and innovative contributions to the forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Sum. 

Frubals: 709
The Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tiresThe Sum of Awe yells 'LOOK OUT FOR THE FRUBALMOBILE!' before squealing the tires

Why I don't understand the concept of a nonphysical soul:

It can't have a shape or size because it's nonphysical, thus an individual's soul exists practically everywhere at once, not just within you, so what makes it your soul?

What is not physical cannot be experienced (tasted, felt, seen, heard, smelled) by physical beings. Some people claim angels, God, or souls etc give them signs.

How can souls move if there is no exterior force controlling their movement. Newton's first law: What is in motion stays in motion until an exterior force stops it. What is at rest stays at rest until an exterior force makes it move.

"I needn't explain my beliefs, they're all around me."
"What helps you sleep at night, might not let you wake up."
The Sum of Awe

"The universe begins to look more and more like a great thought than a great machine." James Jeans
Old 03-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Gjallarhorn Offline
Religion: To Be Determined
Title:N'yog-Sothep
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For your extensive reading and knowledge about different topics 

Frubals: 908
Gjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more sense

Quote:
Does it exist?
I don't know. What is it?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 PM
Madhuri Offline
Religion: Bhagavad Gita
Title:RF Goddess
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your religious path. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts! Congrats Malini :) 

Frubals: 1288
Madhuri had to see the doctor for frubals out the wazoo
Madhuri had to see the doctor for frubals out the wazooMadhuri had to see the doctor for frubals out the wazooMadhuri had to see the doctor for frubals out the wazooMadhuri had to see the doctor for frubals out the wazooMadhuri had to see the doctor for frubals out the wazoo

My Hindu Perspective:

Does it exist? YES
What characteristics does it have?It is Spirit, which means it is eternal, Conscious and innately Blissful
How & when does a soul get attached to a particular human body?At the beginning of creation, the souls are projected into the universe in order to give life to the simplest forms. When those bodies die, the souls leave the body and wait until a new and appropriate one is available (there is a parallel evolution of the Soul and life-forms)
Has the soul a special place in the body, does it reside in the heart, the brain, the liver,...?It is said to reside within the heart chakra and the heart chakra is of course in the heart's vicinity/area
Are the souls of men & women different (why & in which way)?No. All souls are the same, except for their evolutionary progress
Do animals have souls?Yes
Do plants have souls?Yes
Is the number of souls limited?No
Can the soul be touched by sin?No. As there is no such thing as sin. But is can be covered by ignorance, which is how they all start out
What happens to the soul after the body has died? It awaits a new body
Is the soul affected by the way a body is buried (correct, incorrect)?Nope
Can a soul die?No. It is eternal

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 AM
Marble Offline

Marble goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'Marble goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'Marble goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'Marble goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Myself View Post
Soul is all that exists.
Might I know your religion/spiritual direction(s)?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Gharib Offline
Religion: Islam
Title:I want Khilafah back

Frubals: 430
Gharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress people

And they ask you, [O Muhammad], about the soul. Say, "The soul is of the affair of my Lord. And mankind have not been given of knowledge except a little." [17:85]

Quote:
Does it exist?
yes
Quote:
in islamic belief one of the characteristics of the soul is that it stretches and fills the whole body
Quote:
on the 120th day of the existence of the fetus
Quote:
it stretches and is in every part of the body, just as electricity is in every part of a wire.
Quote:
good question, i don't know.
Quote:
Do animals have souls?
yes
Quote:
Do plants have souls?
no, there is a difference between something having a soul and being alive. in islam we believe all things are living except that only humans and animals have souls
Quote:
in the body? yes
Quote:
the soul if affected by the sins of the person. we believe that in a state of purity and without sin, the soul shines with light, the more sins it has the darker it gets.
Quote:
the angel of death takes it out from the body and then 2 angels come take it and ask a few questions and take it back to the grave where the body is untill the day of judgement when all are resurrected.
Quote:
no
Quote:
Can a soul die?
if God wishes to destroy it he can. if a bomb was dropped on someone head the soul would not die, it is not affected by anything in this materialistic life.

all the above is from an islamic perspective.
... So blessed is Allah , the best of creators. [23:14]
Old 03-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Religion: Scientific Pantheist
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 80
St Giordano Bruno hates having to clean up after all these frubalsSt Giordano Bruno hates having to clean up after all these frubals

Quote:
Does it exist?
Only as an observation principle of sentiency but I believe it cannot possibly exhibit any objective existence. It is, for want of a better word, the essence of subjectivity but is not an objective entity. It is as though the universe has stumbled on a means to be aware of its own existence just by merely creating every possible accident.
Quote:
An emergent property of heightened complexity
Quote:
It is not attached it is an observation principle which gives you an illusion you are the center of the universe.
Quote:
I think the brain in a collective sense because it is the most complex known object in the universe where sentiency becomes an emergent property, but any brain sufficiently complex enough could have just as easily generated your sense of self like for instance if your parents never met.
Quote:
No difference whatsoever, because it is really only the one principle.
Quote:
Do animals have souls?
If they are sentient beings they probably do, but again "souls" plural is somewhat of a misnoma because all sentient beings are bound by the same principle.
Quote:
Do plants have souls?
No they are not sentient beings.
Quote:
I think there only needs to be to one, the multiplicity of souls is just an illusion
Quote:
No sin it as much of a fallacy as an objective soul.
Quote:
I think you will forget that you were ever born at all in the first place, so much so that the state of not being born and the state of being dead would be subjectively indistinguishable.
Quote:
Makes no difference whatsoever
Quote:
Can a soul die?
No because it does not exhibit any objective existence. It never exists as an object in the first place to die.
Quote:
Forgot one question: Can to souls unite to become one soul
It is all the same principle of subjectivity as the universe entered a critical phase of complexity so never really been ununited in the first place, only one soul necessary
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 AM
Marble Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Giordano Bruno View Post
It is not attached it is an observation principle which gives you an illusion you are the center of the universe.
Isn't it the ego that does that?