Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Comparative Religion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM
On_a_Quest Offline
Religion: Questioning Catholic
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 13
On_a_Quest will work for frubals
Default Hinduism and Christianity?

I've been throwing around some ideas in the back of mind, comparing Christianity (what I grew up with) to other religions that I've been learning about. I was reading a book by Diarmaid MacCulloch and he made this really great statement: "Christianity is, at root, a personality cult." This got me thinking about Christianity and the way it is entirely centered around the personality (as reported/portrayed in the Bible) of Jesus Christ. I believe that if one were to boil down Christianity to one point, you could say that the goal of the religion is to love God/Jesus with all your heart.

This thought brought me to when I was learning a bit about Hinduism and the different paths the religion has to God. Specifically, Christianity reminded me strongly of Bhakti Yoga because (correct me if I'm wrong!) the principle of Bhakti Yoga is to worship one god (aspect of God) and love that god with all your heart. In that way, isn't Christianity like Bhakti Yoga? For most people, it is probably easier to love something more concrete like an image of God. Couldn't Christianity be to Judaism what Bhakti Yoga is to other branches of Hinduism?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Religion: Pagan-Christian-Dharma
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 40
Many Sages One Truth has much to be proud of

Yes Christianity is like Bhakti Yoga. Good observation
Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Yeshe Dawa Offline
Religion: Tara Meditation
Title:Lotus Born

Frubals: 49
Yeshe Dawa yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_a_Quest View Post
Specifically, Christianity reminded me strongly of Bhakti Yoga because (correct me if I'm wrong!) the principle of Bhakti Yoga is to worship one god (aspect of God) and love that god with all your heart. In that way, isn't Christianity like Bhakti Yoga?
Hi On_a_Quest!

There is a very good book on comparative religion called The World's Religions by Huston Smith and this is pretty much his point - that Christianity is Bhakti yoga.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
Old 08-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Riverwolf Offline
Religion: Asatru/Forn Sidu
Title:Bard
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For you constant hard work for making this a better forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Man, how'd I miss that. :p Congrats RW! 

Frubals: 865
Riverwolf adds applause tracks to frubal commentsRiverwolf adds applause tracks to frubal commentsRiverwolf adds applause tracks to frubal commentsRiverwolf adds applause tracks to frubal commentsRiverwolf adds applause tracks to frubal commentsRiverwolf adds applause tracks to frubal commentsRiverwolf adds applause tracks to frubal commentsRiverwolf adds applause tracks to frubal commentsRiverwolf adds applause tracks to frubal comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by On_a_Quest View Post
I've been throwing around some ideas in the back of mind, comparing Christianity (what I grew up with) to other religions that I've been learning about. I was reading a book by Diarmaid MacCulloch and he made this really great statement: "Christianity is, at root, a personality cult." This got me thinking about Christianity and the way it is entirely centered around the personality (as reported/portrayed in the Bible) of Jesus Christ. I believe that if one were to boil down Christianity to one point, you could say that the goal of the religion is to love God/Jesus with all your heart.

This thought brought me to when I was learning a bit about Hinduism and the different paths the religion has to God. Specifically, Christianity reminded me strongly of Bhakti Yoga because (correct me if I'm wrong!) the principle of Bhakti Yoga is to worship one god (aspect of God) and love that god with all your heart. In that way, isn't Christianity like Bhakti Yoga? For most people, it is probably easier to love something more concrete like an image of God. Couldn't Christianity be to Judaism what Bhakti Yoga is to other branches of Hinduism?
Not really. Bhakti Yoga isn't necessarily separate from other Yogas, but is most often combined with them. It's also not necessarily directed to a concrete image, so Judaism, etc. can have just as much Bhakti as Christianity.

Too much analysis is freezing. Too much intuition is scorching. Let the two therefore meet in cool warmth.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:31 AM
BruceDLimber Online!
Religion: Baha'i
Title:Respected Member

Frubals: 235
BruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behind

I like your logo, BTW! :-) :-)

Bruce
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
SageTree Offline
Title:Spiritual Friend
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 369
SageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their own

Everyday here I feel a little bit less 'in left field' or at least not alone there when I read ideas like this.
Several years ago I came to feel this way, and it's awesome to see others' feel this way.
Whew..... now I can take a few less crazy pills..... or maybe I should share them

**hugs**

SageTree

Pass it on.....
Old 08-10-2011, 01:10 PM
SageTree Offline
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  

SageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their ownSageTree has frubals old enough to have little frubals of their own

I considered posting more of Proverbs chapter 3, but I'll just flash these two up instead:

Quote:
5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

Ecclesiastes is another Book attributed to Solomon, that I feel, is worth a read and is one that I hear and understand through a Dharmic filter.

In other words, my mind has a hard time not understanding the language through more 'Eastern' philosophical language.

Vanity is the word used over and over, and what I feel the message of the Book is about correct understanding of the Self, Attachment, Physical/Material world and relationship in God.

Granted, it's not indecipherable about which traditions it comes from. It is carrying it's own cultural understandings, norms and trappings, but I feel it speaks to me and chimes the same bells as when I am reading Hindu scriptures and writings.

And would be interested to hear what any of you that have read it, or will read it, thinks.

Respectfully shared,
SageTree

Pass it on.....
Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Yeshe Dawa Offline
Religion: Tara Meditation
Title:Lotus Born

Frubals: 49
Yeshe Dawa yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTree View Post
Ecclesiastes is another Book attributed to Solomon, that I feel, is worth a read and is one that I hear and understand through a Dharmic filter.

In other words, my mind has a hard time not understanding the language through more 'Eastern' philosophical language.
Hi SageTree!

I feel the same way. Once I looked at Jesus from the East instead of the West, he made a lot more sense.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
Old 08-10-2011, 02:36 PM
SageTree Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshe Dawa View Post
Hi SageTree!

I feel the same way. Once I looked at Jesus from the East instead of the West, he made a lot more sense.

Peace and blessings,
Yeshe
Hello Yeshe,

I say 'thank you' to you for your words. Everyday I read something on here that makes me feel a little less alone and confused....

Granted there is plenty to get me back that way.....

but at least in bits and pieces,

It's nice to see that my 'eyes' are working okay and I'm not have hallucinations

.... or if I am,

at least I have some company

Sometimes I've said about how hopeful and simple Ecclesiastes message was and how it made me feel inside, I SWEAR! some folks heads looked like they were gonna pop!!!

'Its so dark and hopeless!!! How can you see good in that' (except the 'everything in it's seasons and time' part)

SO AWESOME AND THANKS!!!!!
For sharing with me

SageTree

Pass it on.....