Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Comparative Religion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM
tigersgrowl1093 Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 12
tigersgrowl1093 will work for frubals
Default Believing in God, but not Jesus

I have been having issues with this. I don't need a label, but it would be easier, you know??

I believe in God. I don't, however, believe Jesus was a prophet. I believe he was a false prophet.

Please, no bashing, no cajoling, no trying to get me to believe what you do.

I will honor your opinions, so please honor mine.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Katzpur Offline
Religion: Latter-day Saint
Title:Hangs around real Mormons
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 2627
Katzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterward
Katzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersgrowl1093 View Post
I have been having issues with this. I don't need a label, but it would be easier, you know??

I believe in God. I don't, however, believe Jesus was a prophet. I believe he was a false prophet.

Well, how do you envision God? A lot of people believe in a Higher Power, so to speak, but not the Abrahamic God. If you believe in the Abrahamic God (the God of the Bible), you might want to look into Judaism (of course, you'd have to actually convert, not being born to a Jewish mother). If you don't think Judaism is for you, you might want to check out Unitarian Universalism. I'm not saying this disrespectfully, but you can be a UU and have pretty much any understanding of God that suits you.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:24 AM
Tarheeler Offline
Religion: Judaism
Title:Just Jewish

Frubals: 486
Tarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lot

That was one of the things that got me looking into Judaism.

I believe in the God of Abraham, but rejected several of the central ideas of Christianity. Luckily, it's not the only religion out there.

Do some reading. I suggest making a list of what you think is right, then examine as many religions as you can to find out what they say.

Like Katzpur said, if you're partial to the Abrahamic God, there's Judaism and UU, as well as Islam and Baha'i. If not, then the choices are almost unlimited. You should also look at the Seekers DIR - Religious Education Forum

Last edited by Tarheeler; 11-30-2010 at 03:28 AM..
Old 11-30-2010, 03:27 AM
Madhuri Offline
Religion: Bhagavad Gita
Title:RF Goddess
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your religious path. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts! Congrats Malini :) 

Frubals: 1297
Madhuri covers frubals for religious reasons
Madhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasons

What exactly are you wanting to discuss here? Did you have a question or are you looking for advice?

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
Old 11-30-2010, 03:49 AM
Midnight Pete Offline
Religion: Jesus Christ
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 107
Midnight Pete hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time aroundMidnight Pete hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time aroundMidnight Pete hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time around

Quote:

Done!

But what kind of a conversation can we have?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:28 AM
Religion: Kemetic Wiccan
Title:Resident Lycanthrope

Frubals: 2077
enchanted_one1975 warns that frubal fumes may cause dizziness,  confusion, and karaokeenchanted_one1975 warns that frubal fumes may cause dizziness,  confusion, and karaoke
enchanted_one1975 warns that frubal fumes may cause dizziness,  confusion, and karaokeenchanted_one1975 warns that frubal fumes may cause dizziness,  confusion, and karaoke

Is it the Abrahamic God than you believe in? Do you believe there was a different prophet? You may have Jewish beliefs, Islamic beliefs, or some other beliefs altogether.

Barack Hussein Obama is truly evil.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:42 AM
Reverend Rick Offline
Religion: Universal Life
Title:Retired
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Ya know, I just kind of assumed everybody up in Redland already got this. Sorry for the over-site Rick. :p Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Rick. :yes: 

Frubals: 3166
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Pete View Post
Done!

But what kind of a conversation can we have?
We could have a discussion, I believe the OP just does not want to debate.

My question is, do you believe that Jesus existed?

Another question is, perhaps you have an issue with how Paul portrays Jesus and not how Jesus actually portrayed himself. Have you examined this?
Old 11-30-2010, 06:56 AM
tigersgrowl1093 Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 12
tigersgrowl1093 will work for frubals

Okay, to clear some things up:

I do believe in the Abrahamic God.
I believe everything the Old Testament says, because in my mind, that scripture is coming from God, and being dictated by men.
I believe the New Testament is coming solely from men.
I believe Jesus is a false prophet because of things God says in the OT, and in things Jesus says himself, and the fact that he called himself THE son of God.
I believe in all the "prophets" leading up to him (Abraham, Moses, Noah, etc) because none claimed to be God's incarnation.

GOD:
"If the prophet speaks in the name of the Lord and the oracle does not come true, that oracle was not spoken by the Lord." (Deut. 18:22)

Jesus:
"Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the son of man has come." (Matt 10:23)

“Verily I say unto you, all these things shall come upon this generation” (Matt 23:36)

Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees, telling them everything in this city (adultery, wickedness) would be risen against. He clearly states, THIS GENERATION. From every thing I've read on this subject, there is no way that Greek "this generation" could even mean any other generation but THAT one.

There are a few more, but like I said, I don't want this to be a debate. If anyone wants to explain their viewpoint on those, I would be more than happy to hear them.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Katzpur Offline
Religion: Latter-day Saint
Title:Hangs around real Mormons
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 2627
Katzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterward
Katzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterwardKatzpur likes getting fruballed hard and fast, then a pipe afterward

Quote:
Okay, to clear some things up:

I do believe in the Abrahamic God.
I believe everything the Old Testament says, because in my mind, that scripture is coming from God, and being dictated by men.
I believe the New Testament is coming solely from men.
I believe Jesus is a false prophet because of things God says in the OT, and in things Jesus says himself, and the fact that he called himself THE son of God.
I believe in all the "prophets" leading up to him (Abraham, Moses, Noah, etc) because none claimed to be God's incarnation.

GOD:
"If the prophet speaks in the name of the Lord and the oracle does not come true, that oracle was not spoken by the Lord." (Deut. 18:22)

Jesus:
"Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the son of man has come." (Matt 10:23)

“Verily I say unto you, all these things shall come upon this generation” (Matt 23:36)

Jesus was speaking to the Pharisees, telling them everything in this city (adultery, wickedness) would be risen against. He clearly states, THIS GENERATION. From every thing I've read on this subject, there is no way that Greek "this generation" could even mean any other generation but THAT one.

There are a few more, but like I said, I don't want this to be a debate. If anyone wants to explain their viewpoint on those, I would be more than happy to hear them.
I would suggest the following:

1. Read the OP of this thread: You're a What? You'll find it interesting, and possibly pertinent to your question.
2. Consider the possibility that your interpretations of the scriptures you mentioned might be inaccurate.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
9-10ths_Penguin Offline
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 3092
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark

Quote:

There's always the Belief-o-Matic. It probably won't give you a hard-and-fast "you're a _______!" answer, but it might point you toward some religions/denominations that are generally in line with what you believe.