Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Comparative Religion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Scuba Pete Offline
Religion: Tolerance
Title:Victim of Intolerance
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Prolific Poster Award 

Frubals: 3
Scuba Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Scorn, we see a definite pattern here. At least I do.

There is much about Christianity that non-Christians merely assume or ascribe to all Christians. Were I to do this to any other religion, like if I were to say "All athiests are arrogant!", then I would be villified for my bigotry. Why should we not say the same things about those who over-generalise about Christianity?

When you erroneously ascribe intent (judgement) to a simple act of someone divulging THEIR personal feelings, I feel compelled to show you the hypocrisy inherent in your statement. You would paint evangelism as some sort of subversive act bent on condemning you to sheol. When in actuality you have chosen your current path... not me, and not the person who wished you would be Christian.

Using your philosophy, we would should call the man crying fire in a burning building as arrogant and judgemental. How dare you tell me that you "would wish that I were outside of the building like you"!"How arrogant of you to imply that MY body is in peril".

The pattern I see, is an outright resentment of a group of people who feel that they have found the light, because by deduction, they are saying that you haven't. Are you suggesting that they should change their belief to protect your delicate sensibilities? Why are so intent in foisting your beliefs on others like that? Aren't you secure enough in your own beliefs to allow others their own? Sounds suspiciously narrow minded to me!

Hate wrapped in prayer or a sermon is still hate.

All you need is LOVE!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:37 PM
linwood Offline
Religion: None
Title:Awesome Member

Frubals: 916
linwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of society

Quote:
The pattern I see, is an outright resentment of a group of people who feel that they have found the light, because by deduction, they are saying that you haven't. Are you suggesting that they should change their belief to protect your delicate sensibilities? Why are so intent in foisting your beliefs on others like that? Aren't you secure enough in your own beliefs to allow others their own? Sounds suspiciously narrow minded to me!
With all due respect NetDoc the hypocrisy in that last paragraph is palpable.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Dr. Nosophoros Offline
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 141
Dr. Nosophoros writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceDr. Nosophoros writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceDr. Nosophoros writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy face

Quote:
Using your philosophy, we would should call the man crying fire in a burning building as arrogant and judgemental. How dare you tell me that you "would wish that I were outside of the building like you"!"How arrogant of you to imply that MY body is in peril".
That is the arrogance I am talking about, who says the man who yells "fire" knows what he is talking about in the first place, if I see no flames or smell no smoke should I run outside out of baseless fear? To me, that is the reason many flock to the "Christ"- fear of their own mortality and the unknown.

Quote:
It doesn't matter to me what anyone believes, but if by their own doing fueled by their beliefs negatively affects my current reality (as I pointed out in my origional post with regards to science, technology and culture ) then the representatives of that belief are deserving of what they have given, you need to read some history. You seem to want to cast yourself and your beliefs as a "victim", throughout history people with Christian based beliefs have been in turn victims and victimizers, I feel no pity for you and expect none from you.

Last edited by Dr. Nosophoros; 03-05-2005 at 02:50 PM..
Old 03-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Scorn Offline
Religion: Non
Title:Non-Theist

Frubals: 49
Scorn yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

You seem to forget this thread has a title and we, who may fear our words are taken as hostility toward Christians must somehow rationalize our opinions to the question asked. If you don't happen to like the answers, that's fair. If you know for certain that I, in fact, don't feel as though someone is judging me, I'd like to know what your opinion of my knowledge of the term might be based on. And how you are able to decipher my experiences better than I. My statements are neither erroneous nor hypocritical. They are based on my experience and I've stated as much twice now. Had I claimed that I thought NetDoc was judgmental than I'd think you'd most certainly have a case. You seem to think I (we) want to paint all of Christianity with the same brush yet to want to defend it with that same broad brush. You seem clear in suggesting I don't understand what the word judgment means (or rather those that feel the same as I) and that Dr. No also misunderstands the term arrogance. Excuse me for feeling a slight insult...or am I misunderstanding that term as well?

And just for the record, if I really felt a resentment toward Christians I would not spend my time engaging in discussion on this message board. The fact that I raise questions or argue a point does not make me bigoted or resentful. Just curious and interested.

Last edited by Scorn; 03-05-2005 at 03:09 PM..
Old 03-05-2005, 03:26 PM
Scuba Pete Offline
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Prolific Poster Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linwood
With all due respect NetDoc
Subtle sarcasm escapes many. Don't let it bother you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr No
if I see no flames or smell no smoke should I run outside out of baseless fear?
By all means stay. Many have perished using your logic. Just don't blame the man for "condemning you" with your last breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorn
You seem to think I (we) want to paint all of Christianity with the same brush
You have done an incredible job convincing me of this.

Quote:
must somehow rationalize our opinions
That is amazingly insightful. Do you realise what you just said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorn
They are based on my experience and I've stated as much twice now.
Whether they are based on your experience or not... you have assigned intent to the person who made the comment. Did you ASK if the person was judging you? Did they sign some sort of document condemning you to hell? If not, then you made an assumption. You have now shared that assumption. I contend your assumption is fallacious and based on an emotional bias. I also contend that you are showing the same "judgemental" attitude as the person who made the original statement. Condemning someone for traits that you exibit is hypocrisy.

All you need is LOVE!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Scorn Offline

Scorn yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

Well I guess I'll just have to bring it up with my family, (again) and make certain that when they suggest I am somehow less without Christ that they didn't actually mean to judge me.

As for this argument I suppose I'm done. You win. I know that seems somehow passive aggressive of me but I'm sure I don't really understand that term either.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Scuba Pete Offline

Quote:
if I really felt a resentment toward Christians
For the record, sometimes people don't see their own bias, especially if it's subtle. I am not accusing you (or any here) of leading anti-Christian crusades and desiring that I along with all who believe were to be burned at the stake.

But there is an obvious anti-Christian bias. It's loosely based on those who claim to be Christian and who don't live the life. It's very easy to do, and is in vogue right now, along with blaming all muslims for what happened on 9/11. It's purely a human reaction to pigeon hole entire genres of people who don't believe the same as you. We call them names and assign attitudes and feelings to them without ever trying to learn the truth behind their actions.

But that doesn't make it right.

All you need is LOVE!
Old 03-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Scorn Offline

Edit:
Old 03-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Dr. Nosophoros Offline
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 141
Dr. Nosophoros writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceDr. Nosophoros writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceDr. Nosophoros writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy face

Quote:
By all means stay. Many have perished using your logic. Just don't blame the man for "condemning you" with your last breath.
So what are you really saying NetDoc? don't beat around the bush.

I am interested in hearing about the anti- Christian bias that is in "vogue" now, from whom and from where? Is it anything like the "vast right-wing conspiracy"?

Last edited by Dr. Nosophoros; 03-05-2005 at 03:44 PM..
Old 03-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Scuba Pete Offline

Dr No...

Just go read post #77 of this thread!

All you need is LOVE!