Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Abrahamic Religions DIR / Christianity DIR / Christianity in General DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Magog Offline
Title:A dewdrop

Frubals: 207
Magog scares small children with frubalsMagog scares small children with frubalsMagog scares small children with frubalsMagog scares small children with frubalsMagog scares small children with frubals
Default Jesus' Lost Years

I understand that there is nothing in the New Testament about Jesus between about the age of 12 and 30. If this is true, what are the explanations, reasons, speculations as to this absence?
Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Bob Dixon Offline
Religion: Christian, non-dual
Title:Not sure if Gnostic...

Frubals: 136
Bob Dixon is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.Bob Dixon is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.Bob Dixon is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.

"He went to India" is one explanation.
"He stayed in his parents' house" is another.

It all depends on who you ask.

I like the India idea, but I don't think there's all that much reasonable support for it.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:24 PM
fallingblood Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Agnostic Theist
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 449
fallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magog View Post
I understand that there is nothing in the New Testament about Jesus between about the age of 12 and 30. If this is true, what are the explanations, reasons, speculations as to this absence?
Those years simply didn't matter. What mattered about Jesus, at least for his early followers was primarily his death/resurrection. That is what Paul basically talks about (primarily the resurrection idea). After that, the only other part of his life that was seen with importance was his teaching, and the moments that led up to his death. His early life simply was of no importance in the grand scheme of things.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:27 PM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 927
Me Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual size

I think he went to India. It makes sense to me at least. "I am one with God" is kind if hindu. The bread of life is kind of like prasada that is a hindu custom. I also understand that walking on water was a common buddhist superpower for enlightened ones then? (I mean, tales about this existed then in buddhism, though Ive just heard, dont take my word at all for it)

Quite honestly, it just makes sense to me.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:34 AM
Magog Offline

Magog scares small children with frubalsMagog scares small children with frubalsMagog scares small children with frubalsMagog scares small children with frubalsMagog scares small children with frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingblood View Post
Those years simply didn't matter. What mattered about Jesus, at least for his early followers was primarily his death/resurrection. That is what Paul basically talks about (primarily the resurrection idea). After that, the only other part of his life that was seen with importance was his teaching, and the moments that led up to his death. His early life simply was of no importance in the grand scheme of things.
Is there no scholarly evidence for the missing years?

I appreciate the teaching is the crucial matter, I would just be curious as to what may have happened between childhood and adulthood that led to him teaching what he did. No events, meetings, travels or whatver. It seems curious the Bible is blank on all those years. Could Mary not have spoken about his life? Why no record of Jesus himself accounting for these years?
Old 04-25-2012, 04:35 AM
Magog Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dixon View Post
"He went to India" is one explanation.
"He stayed in his parents' house" is another.

It all depends on who you ask.

I like the India idea, but I don't think there's all that much reasonable support for it.

Yes, I've heard of the India idea but I wish to see if there are any facts to support any speculations?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:09 AM
zenzero Offline
Religion: do things religiously
Title:Its only a Label
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Zen! 

Frubals: 1322
zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'
zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'

Friend Magog,

Quote:
Jesus' Lost Years
Guess can say with any degree of certainty but this is what wiki has:
Quote:
Several authors have claimed to have found proof of the existence of manuscripts in India and Tibet that support the belief that Christ was in India during this time in his life. Others cite legends in a number of places in the region that Jesus passed that way in ancient times.[1] The Jesus in India manuscript was first reported in modern times by Nicolas Notovitch (1894). Subsequently several other authors have written on the subject, including the religious leader Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (founder of Ahmadiyya movement) (1899), Levi H. Dowling (1908), Swami Abhedananda (1922),[2] Nicholas Roerich (1923–1928),[1] Mathilde Ludendorff (1930), and Elizabeth Clare Prophet (founder of Ascended Master Teachings New Age group) (1956).[3
Guess history hardly can change TRUTH which every one has to find himself!

Love & rgds
Old 04-25-2012, 05:21 AM
Pegg Offline
Religion: Jehovah's Witness
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! 

Frubals: 382
Pegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubals

Quote:
its not necessary information.

But the gospels do give us some clue as to what he was doing all those years. He is known as 'The carpenter'. This title is significant because it shows that he must have had a good reputation as a carpenter and the only way to become a skilled carpenter is through years of practice. He would have learned the trade through his father Joseph.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:29 AM
Road Warrior Offline
Religion: PZGC*
Title:Seeking the middle path..

Frubals: 78
Road Warrior likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling offRoad Warrior likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Myself View Post
I think he went to India. It makes sense to me at least. "I am one with God" is kind if hindu. The bread of life is kind of like prasada that is a hindu custom. I also understand that walking on water was a common buddhist superpower for enlightened ones then? (I mean, tales about this existed then in buddhism, though Ive just heard, dont take my word at all for it)

Quite honestly, it just makes sense to me.
My is very similar. The philosophical differences between the OT and the NT is very different. The NT shares more with Hindu/Buddhist philosophies than the bloodletting and, at times, merciless God of the OT.

I think he would have traveled East, but not necessarily all the way to India or Nepal.

Lost years of Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Several authors have claimed to have found proof of the existence of manuscripts in India and Tibet that support the belief that Christ was in India during this time in his life. Others cite legends in a number of places in the region that Jesus passed that way in ancient times.[1] The Jesus in India manuscript was first reported in modern times by Nicolas Notovitch (1894). Subsequently several other authors have written on the subject, including the religious leader Mirza Ghulam Ahmad (founder of Ahmadiyya movement) (1899), Levi H. Dowling (1908), Swami Abhedananda (1922),[2] Nicholas Roerich (19231928),[1] Mathilde Ludendorff (1930), and Elizabeth Clare Prophet (founder of Ascended Master Teachings New Age group) (1956).
Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 AM
rusra02 Offline
Title:Intrepid Member

Frubals: 88
rusra02 says every time your read this, God slaps another frubalrusra02 says every time your read this, God slaps another frubal

Quote:
The Bible mentions only briefly Jesus early life. "And he went down with them and came to Nazareth, and he continued subject to them....And Jesus went on progressing in wisdom and in physical growth and in favor with God and men." (Luke 2:51,52)
Since "All scripture is inpired by God", God focused attention on Jesus role as Messiah or Christ. Jesus early life was simply a necessary step for Jesus to be ready to accomplish God's will. He became the "Christ", or anointed one, at his baptism at the age of 30. Apparently before that, Jesus worked as a carpenter, since he was known as both the carpenter's son and the carpenter. (Matthew 13:55, Mark 6:3)