Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Dharmic Religions DIR / Buddhism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Azakel Offline
Religion: Spiritual
Title:Liebe ist für alle da

Frubals: 515
Azakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal belly
Default Skinny Buddha Vs. Fat Buddha

I don't mean vs like a fight, but that I have seen picture and statues of the Skinny Buddha and then the Buddha most people are use to seeing, the Fat one that's all was smiling. What's the different(other then ones skinny and the other fat). Does it just depend on the school(or type) of Buddhism?
Old 01-18-2008, 06:37 PM
koan Offline
Religion: Buddhist
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 78
koan likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling offkoan likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling off

The skinny Buddha is Sakyamuni Buddha, the historical Buddha. The fat one is not really Buddha at all, but an Icon of a Chinese monk whom they believe was a reincarnation of Matreiya the future Buddha. In Chinese, his name is Budai Luohan and in Japanese, Hotei.

It's like a finger pointing at the moon...... Look at the moon stupid

First there is a mountain then there is no mountain, then there is
Donovan
Old 01-18-2008, 07:19 PM
Azakel Offline

Azakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal bellyAzakel is starting to get quite the frubal belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
The skinny Buddha is Sakyamuni Buddha, the historical Buddha. The fat one is not really Buddha at all, but an Icon of a Chinese monk whom they believe was a reincarnation of Matreiya the future Buddha. In Chinese, his name is Budai Luohan and in Japanese, Hotei.
Thank you, I did not know that. But now I do. One more question, though the fat Buddha(Budai) is not really Buddha then, is it still alright to refer to him as such, or is it just ignorance then to do so(if you know the difference).
Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Francine Offline
Religion: Taoist
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 452798
Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Francine says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azakel View Post
Thank you, I did not know that. But now I do. One more question, though the fat Buddha(Budai) is not really Buddha then, is it still alright to refer to him as such, or is it just ignorance then to do so(if you know the difference).
Isn't Fat Buddha's girth evidence that he has not purged himself of desire for milk shakes?
Old 01-18-2008, 07:33 PM
Somkid Offline
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 172
Somkid falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeSomkid falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeSomkid falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeSomkid falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by koan View Post
That is exactly right and the only answer. Hotei is depicted as fat to show abundance of love, compassion, wisdom, virtue, etc. And every one loves a fat jolly guy.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Azakel Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somkid View Post
That is exactly right and the only answer. Hotei is depicted as fat to show abundance of love, compassion, wisdom, virtue, etc. And every one loves a fat jolly guy.
Ok, so Hotei is a Buddha(Just not the first one), and the reason why he is shown has Fat is to incorporate that he is full of love, compassion, wisdom, virtue, and so on.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:45 PM
Somkid Offline
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 172
Somkid falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeSomkid falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeSomkid falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeSomkid falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every time

Quote:
Ok, so Hotei is a Buddha(Just not the first one), and the reason why he is shown has Fat is to incorporate that he is full of love, compassion, wisdom, virtue, and so on.
There are many interpretations of Hotei I agree with the above but that is from the Chinese prospective and we call Hotei (Japanese Name) Budai or Putai in Chinese.
He to be an incarnation of Miroku Bosatsu known as Miluo Fo in China(or as Miluo Pusa) Known as the Fat Buddha or Laughing Buddha in the West.

Ok, I'll tell you everything I know about this topic as it seems to have peaked some interest.

In Japan Hotei is known as the god of contentment and happiness, and is the god of good luck from Shintosim, Hotei. He is supposedly based on Miluo Fo, and is widely recognized outside of Japan. He is generally depicted carrying a large cloth bag over his back, one that never empties, he uses it to feed the poor and needy.

The Japanese spelling of "Ho Tei" means "cloth bag." He also holds a Chinese fan called an oogi (said to be a "wish giving" fan, this type of fan was used by the aristocracy to indicate to vassals that their requests would be granted. Hotei is most likely based on the itinerant 10th-century Chinese Buddhist monk and hermit Budaishi who is said to be an incarnation of Miroku Bodhisattva as I mentioned above
(Maitreya in Sanskrit for those interested).

Hotei is sometimes shown surrounded by a group of small children, playing and laughing around his very round shape.

In recent times, Hotei is also referred to as the patron saint of restaurateurs and bartenders I'm sure you see him in every Chinese restaurant in in the world (and on the dash of my car to remind me to be generous where ever I go). When you over eat or over drink (that would ever happen) the Chinese sometimes jokingly say your under Hotei's influence, well its funny in Chinese anyway .
Old 01-19-2008, 02:58 AM
vandervalley Offline
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 28
vandervalley is the leader of a covert group of mutant frubals

Quote:
I don't mean vs like a fight, but that I have seen picture and statues of the Skinny Buddha and then the Buddha most people are use to seeing, the Fat one that's all was smiling. What's the different(other then ones skinny and the other fat). Does it just depend on the school(or type) of Buddhism?
Buddhas and Bhodisattavas have many different forms and certainly are not restricted to the forms depicted by statues. They can change forms whenever they wish.

If I remember correctly Matreiya Bhodissatva (the "chubby" Buddha as some call it) was depicted as rather skinny in central Aisa (Afghanistan and Pakistan) when Buddhism was still there hundreds of years ago.

Statues are made to look like whatever people of that region wish it to look like. In Buddhism how statues look like are not important at all; the teachings are more important.

I have seen a Buddha statue in USA and it looked nothing like the ones from East Asia.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:01 AM
vandervalley Offline
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 28
vandervalley is the leader of a covert group of mutant frubals

Maitreya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

look at that photo of the Maitreya Bhodissatva from Ancient Pakistan.

Doesn't look chubby at all
Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Kungfuzed Offline
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Title:Student Nurse

Frubals: 297
Kungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsKungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsKungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsKungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsKungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somkid View Post
In Japan Hotei is known as the god of contentment and happiness, and is the god of good luck from Shintosim, Hotei. He is supposedly based on Miluo Fo, and is widely recognized outside of Japan. He is generally depicted carrying a large cloth bag over his back, one that never empties, he uses it to feed the poor and needy.
A Japanese Santa Clause!