Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / Scriptural Debates / Biblical Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 AM
wild20 Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 104
wild20 added a shed out back to store more frubalswild20 added a shed out back to store more frubalswild20 added a shed out back to store more frubals
Default If we are saved by Grace, why are we judged by Works?

The answer, I have found, is simple. This is going to be quite consroversial, so buckle your seatbelts. I would like to, if possible, do a little debating on whether or not we are saved through grace and judged by works. I will start with my opinion.

Why we are saved by grace:
The bible says
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God

So we are saved by grace. By Jesus giving is very own life for YOU, and shedding His blood on the cross, you are saved by His grace. But only if you believe it. Grace, is a free gift, no strings attached. But I have found that you have to do something with that gift. Its like this, when you get a gift card from someone, do you hide it under your bed? No. Why not? If you didn't, and the giver asked what you did with it, what could you say but, "I hid it, and now I can't use it". It would be very disappointing to the giver, wouldn't it? Now, what if you said to the person, "you have to give me another one, I am sorry I didn't spend it, can't you give me another one?" The giver will most likely not give you another one. Now think about that story, I will come back to it a little later.

Why we are judged by works:

Revelation 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

So, here we have mankind being judged by works. Why? I have a text to show why.

John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

I love that text, because it shows two things, one, we are to keep God's commandments. Every last one. This is not being legalistic, this is love! If you love God, you will keep His commandments which He put in place to protect you! If we do not keep God's commandments, we do not shwo we love Him. REmember the story, if you don't accept the gift, then do something with it, than you are at the loss. God cannot force Himself on you. By accepting His free gift, you should naturally want to keep His commandments. So, any objections? That is my take on it. So debate on!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Scott1 Offline
Religion: Maronite Catholic
Title:Theist
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 993
Scott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in public

Well said!

"For freedom Christ has set us free" (Gal 5:1)... freedom to do what? Serve the Lord! God willed that man should be left in the hand of his own counsel (cf. Sir 15:14), so that he might of his own accord seek his creator and freely attain his full and blessed perfection by cleaving to him.

Peace in Christ,
Scott
Old 09-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Terrywoodenpic Offline
Religion: Anglican-heretic
Title:Oldest Heretic
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: The kindness award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved.  Congrats. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1138
Terrywoodenpic noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tub
Terrywoodenpic noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tubTerrywoodenpic noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tubTerrywoodenpic noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tub

Can't really argue wth that.
But is one more important than the other?
and can one ever be saved by the one without the other?

Terry________________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land
Old 09-30-2005, 10:13 AM
wild20 Offline

wild20 added a shed out back to store more frubalswild20 added a shed out back to store more frubalswild20 added a shed out back to store more frubals

Thanks guys. Actually Terry, I do believe under certain times, there is an exception. Like someone who is dying, they may ave never heard about God, but yearn for something inside, they strive to do good, and because of it, they will be judged accordingly. These people, I believe, may go to heaven. This doesn't make works the sole way of being saved, but for people who are informed of this message, I believe they must follow God's commandments, not out of their want to be saved, but out of obedience. This will please anyone to know that they are following God's word. And no, I don't think one is more important than the other. Both are equal, like the day and night, both, are needed for survival. God bless you guys.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Merlin Offline
Religion: All
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 61
Merlin thinks frubals grow on treesMerlin thinks frubals grow on trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild20
Thanks guys. Actually Terry, I do believe under certain times, there is an exception. Like someone who is dying, they may ave never heard about God, but yearn for something inside, they strive to do good, and because of it, they will be judged accordingly. These people, I believe, may go to heaven. This doesn't make works the sole way of being saved, but for people who are informed of this message, I believe they must follow God's commandments, not out of their want to be saved, but out of obedience. This will please anyone to know that they are following God's word. And no, I don't think one is more important than the other. Both are equal, like the day and night, both, are needed for survival. God bless you guys.
So you believe only Christians go to heaven Do you?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:57 PM
wild20 Offline

No Merlin, you misunderstood me, I believe that non-Christians will go to heaven. This is because people who are not Christians and have not heard about Jesus will be judged solely by their works and actions, because their actions will still reflect their hearts true state. But those who are Christians or believe in God, they will be judged based on Grace, which they have accepted, and Works, which will still reflect their love of the God. Sorry for that misunderstanding.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:11 PM
jewscout Offline
Religion: Judaism
Title:Religious Zionist

Frubals: 952
jewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabby

Quote:
No Merlin, you misunderstood me, I believe that non-Christians will go to heaven. This is because people who are not Christians and have not heard about Jesus will be judged solely by their works and actions, because their actions will still reflect their hearts true state. But those who are Christians or believe in God, they will be judged based on Grace, which they have accepted, and Works, which will still reflect their love of the God. Sorry for that misunderstanding.
but there are people out there who have heard about Jesus yet choose not to be christian
what of them?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Religion: Pagan Rabble Rousing
Title:World's Tallest Hobbit
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Member of the Month Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1877
Feathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in public
Feathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in public

Not at all, Wild20! We usually try to keep any discussion about what a person believes in the other forums, not the Biblical Debates one, so I'm sorry that the question was brought up in this forum. Thank you for your kind answer, though!

A Guide for Our Newer Members

Old 09-30-2005, 03:51 PM
michel Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Administrator Emeritus
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers for your work on the newsletter and is well deserved. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 2754
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax

Quote:
I agree; We will all be judged on a 'frame of reference' basic, I believe. Ie, if you have been a good person (and an atheist) the fact that you were an atheist will have nothing to do with your 'chances'.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:54 PM
Quiddity Offline
Religion: Catholic
Title:UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10000 posts 

Frubals: 1244
Quiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collection
Quiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel
I agree; We will all be judged on a 'frame of reference' basic, I believe. Ie, if you have been a good person (and an atheist) the fact that you were an atheist will have nothing to do with your 'chances'.
Although I somewhat I agree. What do you GAIN by being a Christian if your statement is true?

~Victor