Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Abrahamic Religions DIR / Baha'i Faith DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: Podium Pounding
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7237
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Default Baha'i and homosexuality?

How does the Baha'i faith view homosexuality?

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 04-20-2005, 10:01 AM
michel Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Administrator Emeritus
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers for your work on the newsletter and is well deserved. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 2755
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax

Hi, Sunstone,

I have taken some writings from:-
http://bahai-library.com/unpubl.comp...lity.comp.html, which I have saved as an adobe acrobat file, for which the link is here.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Sunstone Offline
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

Thank you, Michel. Your source is very helpful.

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
BruceDLimber Offline
Religion: Baha'i
Title:Respected Member

Frubals: 236
BruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone
How does the Baha'i faith view homosexuality?
Greetings, Sun! :-)

Briefly, the Baha'i position can be summed up in two statements:

First, as in the teachings of ALL the great religions (with only a few nonconformist groups differing), sex is to be restricted to heterosexual marriage ONLY. All non-marital sex, heterosexual or homosexual, is thus prohibited.

But second, that said, in every other respect homosexuals have the same rights and prerogatives as anyone else and so must not be discriminated against. (And indeed, there are Baha'i homosexuals.)

Regards,

Bruce
Old 04-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Sunstone Offline

Thank you, Bruce. That's very helpful.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Jayhawker Soule Offline
Religion: Judaism
Title:Extraordinary Member
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For thorough research in regards to different topics through the years. Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your valuable contributions to the forum over the years. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: For over 20,000 posts. Congrats Jay.  :) 

Frubals: 3446
Jayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribesJayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribesJayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribes
Jayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribesJayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribesJayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribesJayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribesJayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribesJayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribesJayhawker Soule loves hearing the ancient myths where an angry deity sent a plague of frubals to terrorize misbehaving tribes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDLimber
First, as in the teachings of ALL the great religions (with only a few nonconformist groups differing), sex is to be restricted to heterosexual marriage ONLY. All non-marital sex, heterosexual or homosexual, is thus prohibited.
I have before me an article on the Buddhist attitude towards homosexuality which states, in part:
Quote:
As homosexuality is not explicitly mentioned in any of the Buddha's discourses (more than 20 volumes in the Pali Text Society's English translation), we can only assume that it is meant to be evaluated in the same way that heterosexuality is. And indeed it seems that this is why it is not specifically mentioned. In the case of the lay man and woman where there is mutual consent, where adultery is not involved and where the sexual act is an expression of love, respect, loyalty and warmth, it would not be breaking the third Precept. And it is the same when the two people are of the same gender. Likewise promiscuity, license and the disregard for the feelings of others would make a sexual act unskillful whether it be heterosexual or homosexual. All the principles we would use to evaluate a heterosexual relationship we would also use to evaluate a homosexual one. In Buddhism we could say that it is not the object of one's sexual desire that determines whether a sexual act is unskillful or not, but rather the quality of the emotions and intentions involved.

However, the Buddha sometimes advised against certain behaviour not because it is wrong from the point of view of ethics but because it would put one at odds with social norms or because its is subject to legal sanctions. In these cases, the Buddha says that refraining from such behaviour will free one from the anxiety and embarrassment caused by social disapproval or the fear of punitive action. Homosexuality would certainly come under this type of behaviour. In this case, the homosexual has to decide whether she or he is going to acquiesce to what society expects or to try to change public attitudes. In Western societies where attitudes towards sex in general have been strongly influenced by the tribal taboos of the Old Testament and, in the New Testament, by the ideas of highly neurotic people like St. Paul, there is a strong case for changing public attitudes.

- see Homosexuality and Theravada Buddhism
I particularly appreciate the last sentence.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:12 PM
ayani Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:member
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: This award had been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 792
ayani is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageayani is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageayani is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageayani is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageayani is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageayani is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageayani is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageayani is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageayani is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriage

Quote:
so can a seme-sex couple be in a relationship if there's no sexual contact involved?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:47 PM
lunamoth Offline
Religion: Will to Love
Title:Episcopalian
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: This award had been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award had been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award had been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 1547
lunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a question
lunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a question

From some of the posts I've read recently I get the impression that perhaps there has been a change in Baha'i policy regarding gay Baha'i's who seek civil unions. Would there no longer be sanctions imposed upon such Baha'i couples?

lunamoth

As long as we are here, let's dance.

Last edited by lunamoth; 05-14-2006 at 09:54 PM..
Old 05-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Booko Offline
Title:Deviled Hen
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1417
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoth
From some of the posts I've read recently I get the impression that perhaps there has been a change in Baha'i policy regarding gay Baha'i's who seek civil unions. Would there no longer be sanctions imposed upon such Baha'i couples?
I'm not sure what posts you're referring to, unless you're referring to something I wrote.

The guidelines haven't changed, nor are they likely to, considering the contents of the writings on the subject.

If you were referring to anything I wrote, as you know, the Baha'i Faith doesn't allow drinking alcohol, but we're not out trying to close down bars. Similarly, while same-sex relationships are not ok in the faith, that means nothing about what happens in the secular realm. I haven't heard anyone within the faith, at any level, address the topic of demands for civil unions outside the faith.

I'm trying to find that statement on the subject from the Universal House of Justice. When I do, I'll post the link.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Booko Offline
Title:Deviled Hen
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1417
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival

OK...no link yet, but there's this short summary. The italics are mine, and address lunamoth's earlier post.

Treatment of Homosexuals

Bahá'ís are taught not to treat homosexuals as condemned outcasts, and are told not to apply the Bahá'í teachings to people who have not accepted Baha'u'llah.

The Bahá'í writings teach people to treat everyone, including homosexuals, with love, respect, and dignity.

Gay Bahá'ís

Individuals who are openly homosexual are not prevented from entering the Faith and joining in community life. This acceptance is not an endorsement of their personal conduct, rather it is a recognition that becoming a Bahá'í is not conditional on their complete and strict compliance with all Bahá'í standards and laws. Homosexuality is seen as one of many tests and difficulties every individual must face, which can be discussed openly and sympathized with.

Homosexual Bahá'ís have been reprimanded for being flagrant in their presentation to the public. There are many examples of situations where an individual's administrative rights were taken away when their actions were decided by a Spiritual Assembly to be damaging to the image of the Bahá'í Faith. This response is also applied to alcoholism, heterosexual promiscuity, and anything that is considered flagrant immorality. As a general rule, the Spiritual Assemblies do not get involved in the private lives of believers, unless their actions are causing some harm to the community.

The Bahá'í Faith has received criticism in the gay community. The Baha'i administration has reminded followers of the religion not
to single out homosexuality over other transgressions of the religious code, and to be very tolerant of what is perceived to be immoral behaviour.