Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Non-Theistic/Non-Religious Beliefs DIR / Atheism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 04:53 AM
Quaxotic Offline
Religion: Areligious
Title:Treks' Hawt Water Bottle

Frubals: 275
Quaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingQuaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingQuaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingQuaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingQuaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it coming
Default Atheists: What Gives Your Life Meaning

I was reading the Atheist Experience blog and they had some short videos of the hosts about what gives their lives meaning.

Bat Cruise weekend, A Better Life, and episode #780 open thread | The Atheist Experience

Since this is one thing that a lot of theists don't think we can have without some form of god i thought it would be nice to get everyone to talk about it.

As for myself i find meaning in two places.

The first is my studies and my future career. I am doing a bachelor of applied social sciences. So basically it's counselling and psychology. This is a massive source of meaning for me. What higher purpose is their in life than striving to help those that need it. My most fervent hope is that when i die i will have left the world a better place than what it was when i was born.

The second source of meaning in my life is intellectual curiosity. The world around me is fascinating. I am always looking stuff up on wikipedia, sometimes i spend hours just going from one wiki page to another. I downloaded an app for my phone so i can quickly and easily access wikipedia no matter where i am. And it gets used almost every day.

I agree with Martin Wagner (from the Atheist Experience) that it would be horrible to wake up one day and think "i know everything i need to know". I think life would not be worth living if there wasn't something to pique my curiosity.

So please share with us what gives your life meaning or what you think you could do to give it more meaning.

Thanks,

-Quaxotic

"You're an idiot" Treks
Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 AM
jarofthoughts Offline
Religion: None/Empiricist
Title:Empirical Curmudgeon

Frubals: 246
jarofthoughts whispers to complete strangers, 'Pssst!  Your frubals are unbuttoned!'jarofthoughts whispers to complete strangers, 'Pssst!  Your frubals are unbuttoned!'jarofthoughts whispers to complete strangers, 'Pssst!  Your frubals are unbuttoned!'jarofthoughts whispers to complete strangers, 'Pssst!  Your frubals are unbuttoned!'jarofthoughts whispers to complete strangers, 'Pssst!  Your frubals are unbuttoned!'

I would have to agree with you on both points.
I love to learn new things, and a lot of my time is spent reading and studying.
Combine this with my love for teaching, and it seems I have found the perfect profession for me,
seeing as I am an elementary school teacher.
Of course, I also find meaning in all the things everyone else finds meaning in, family, friends,
and so on, but mostly I just feel lucky to be here and being able to experience all of this.

http://jarofthoughts.livejournal.com/

Last edited by jarofthoughts; 10-01-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Quaxotic Offline
Religion: Areligious
Title:Treks' Hawt Water Bottle

Frubals: 275
Quaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingQuaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingQuaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingQuaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingQuaxotic slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it coming

Teaching is a noble profession.

"You're an idiot" Treks
Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 AM
lunakilo Offline
Religion: between religions
Title:Uber Member

Frubals: 162
lunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tublunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tublunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tublunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tub

I just looked out the window at my children playing as the sun is setting.
My daughter came in about half an hour ago saying she was cold and needed a pair of gloves, so I gave her a pair. I just noticed that she is now wearing gloves but no jacket, it made me smile (sigh! she will get a cold tomorrow or maybe even get sick. But right now she is happy)
I think that and situations like this is the meaning of life.

I also find meaning in trying to learn about the world around me and understand how it works. I usually fail, but sometimes I kind of feel I understand something, and that is a good feeling.

I love it when my children ask me something and I can actually give them a sensible answer.
I love it when I make something and people seem to like using it.
It means my work was not in vain.

I sometimes feel like a little ant running around doing stuff that nobody will probably ever notice if they look at the big picture, but I convience myself that the anthill is a little better off because of what I have done, and once I leave this world to my children and all those other little ants who are running around in, it will hopefully be in better shape because of my work.
That makes sense to me.

Last edited by lunakilo; 10-06-2012 at 01:47 PM..
Old 10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Iti oj Offline
Religion: lucifer of love &chaos
Title:Skwim's hero

Frubals: 471
Iti oj will pole dance for frubalsIti oj will pole dance for frubalsIti oj will pole dance for frubalsIti oj will pole dance for frubalsIti oj will pole dance for frubalsIti oj will pole dance for frubalsIti oj will pole dance for frubals

people, nature, music, books, learning. etc
Old 10-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: Podium Pounding
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7180
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

Friends, family, and work, followed closely by burning holy texts and watching orphans cry.

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Penumbra Offline
Religion: Philosophy
Title:Administrator
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason: For careful and thorough articulation of your thoughts in your posts over the years. Shield of The Renaissance Woman: Awarded to a real polymath, a person with many talents or interests who contributes greatly to a wide range of discussions and debates - Issue reason: For your knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of topics through the years. Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: For your excellent knowledge on a variety of different topics Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Valuable contributions to the forum as a staff member. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! SPECIAL AWARD:Shield of the Thinker: Awarded for the remarkable ability to ponder carefully and think critically about all subjects they encounter - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1116
Penumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morning
Penumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morningPenumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morningPenumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxotic View Post
I was reading the Atheist Experience blog and they had some short videos of the hosts about what gives their lives meaning.

Bat Cruise weekend, A Better Life, and episode #780 open thread | The Atheist Experience

Since this is one thing that a lot of theists don't think we can have without some form of god i thought it would be nice to get everyone to talk about it.

As for myself i find meaning in two places.

The first is my studies and my future career. I am doing a bachelor of applied social sciences. So basically it's counselling and psychology. This is a massive source of meaning for me. What higher purpose is their in life than striving to help those that need it. My most fervent hope is that when i die i will have left the world a better place than what it was when i was born.

The second source of meaning in my life is intellectual curiosity. The world around me is fascinating. I am always looking stuff up on wikipedia, sometimes i spend hours just going from one wiki page to another. I downloaded an app for my phone so i can quickly and easily access wikipedia no matter where i am. And it gets used almost every day.

I agree with Martin Wagner (from the Atheist Experience) that it would be horrible to wake up one day and think "i know everything i need to know". I think life would not be worth living if there wasn't something to pique my curiosity.

So please share with us what gives your life meaning or what you think you could do to give it more meaning.

Thanks,

-Quaxotic
Actually I mostly just poke around and do things without meaning.

Seems more interesting that way.

I make goals and stuff, but they're based on my family upbringing and prior experience about what's "good".
Old 10-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Badran Offline
Religion: None
Title:SprŠvcE
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Speaking of awards . . . :p 

Frubals: 939
Badran advises you not to bite the hand that frubals you, but the knee is probably acceptableBadran advises you not to bite the hand that frubals you, but the knee is probably acceptableBadran advises you not to bite the hand that frubals you, but the knee is probably acceptableBadran advises you not to bite the hand that frubals you, but the knee is probably acceptableBadran advises you not to bite the hand that frubals you, but the knee is probably acceptableBadran advises you not to bite the hand that frubals you, but the knee is probably acceptableBadran advises you not to bite the hand that frubals you, but the knee is probably acceptableBadran advises you not to bite the hand that frubals you, but the knee is probably acceptableBadran advises you not to bite the hand that frubals you, but the knee is probably acceptable

I think the meaning of life is simply the very fact that we're here, doing and experiencing a very wide set of things.

At least, that's the only way i can think of the question to make sense of it, and to be distinct from the question of the purpose of life.
ďIf the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
E.B. White
Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Odi Brassicum Offline
Religion: None
Title:Unicorn trainer.

Frubals: 14
Odi Brassicum will work for frubals

Does life have to have a meaning? Who says? What if I don't want my life to have a meaning? Could I live a happy, fulfilling life, being kind to everyone I meet without a having a meaning?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Revoltingest Online!
Religion: Ignorant Atheist
Title:Certified Most Cunning
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: For making 50,000 posts (limericks and bacon pictures included)! 

Frubals: 2985
Revoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubalsRevoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals
Revoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubalsRevoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubalsRevoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubalsRevoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubalsRevoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubalsRevoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubalsRevoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubalsRevoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubalsRevoltingest thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals

I provide my own meaning.
(Scary, eh?)