Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Abrahamic Religions DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 05:46 AM
Cordoba Offline
Religion: Islam
Title:Awesome Member
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 447
Cordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth open
Default The Song of Solomon, Chapter 5, Verse 16

Greetings to All:

I have just this moment found out that Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) is mentioned by name in the Song of Solomon chapter 5 verse 16:

"Hikko Mamittakim we kullo Muhammadim Zehdoodeh wa Zehraee Bayna Jerusalem."

"His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem."

In the Hebrew language im is added for respect. Similarely im is added after the name of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) to make it Muhammadim.

In the English translation they have translated the name of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) as "altogether lovely", but in the Old Testament in Hebrew, the name of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is yet present !!

My Blog

Islam-Guide
Old 04-19-2005, 05:48 AM
Cordoba Offline
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. 

Cordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openCordoba gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth open
Default Confirmation?

Can someone familiar with the Old Testament in Hebrew confirm (or refute) this claim?

My Blog

Islam-Guide
Old 04-20-2005, 10:14 AM
anders Offline
Title:Senior Member
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 174
anders falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeanders falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeanders falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeanders falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every time

The Hebrew word is, according to all sources, derived from the root mHd. The non-occurring verb maHmād and its derivatives refer to precious things etc.

The name of the Prophet (pbuh) comes from the root Hmd. Hamida means to praise etc.

The different vowels clearly show that the Hebrew maHamadīm and the Arabic muHammad are different words.

And even if they had the same origin and the word in the Bible were a name, the Bible could have referred to any person of that name in those days. I suppose you don't mean that there are any credible predictions in the Bible!?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:24 PM
Cordoba Offline

Thanks anders for your answer.

The hebrew word mahmad according to the site (Jews for Allah, which has just come back on-line after a long absence) means "the praised one", which is exactly the same meaning of Muhammad in Arabic: "the praised one".

"In reading the English translation of Songs 5:16 it finishes the description by saying "He is altogether lovely". The words "altogether lovely" was translated from mahmad "

http://www.jews-for-allah.org/Muhamm...d-in-Songs.htm

Other references to Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him in the Jewish Bible are on this page:

http://www.jews-for-allah.org/Muhammad-and-Judaism/

My Blog

Islam-Guide
Old 04-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Religion: Reform Jew

Frubals: 162
standing_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubstanding_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubstanding_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubstanding_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordoba
In the Hebrew language im is added for respect. Similarely im is added after the name of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) to make it Muhammadim.
Um, "im" is added to make a (masculine) word plural, not for respect. I'll go look up the specific verse, give me a moment.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 PM

standing_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubstanding_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubstanding_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubstanding_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tub

Does Muhammad's name have the "ch" (sort of like Bach, not like church) sound in it? (I think that sound exists in Arabic, yes?)
Old 04-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Cordoba Offline

Default Prophet Abraham, peace be upon him

Jews living in Madinah in the early 7th. century recognized Prophet Muhamma, peace be upon him, as soon as he arrived from Makkah.

His description was so clear to them in Jewish scriptures, they were certain it was him, God's last Prophet and Messenger whom they were waiting for, a descendent of Prophet Abraham, peace be upon him.

The only unexpected surprise for them was that he was the descendent of Prophet Abraham from his son Ishmael, not Isaac.

My Blog

Islam-Guide
Old 04-20-2005, 10:43 PM

Well, I happen to disagree, but then, that's why I'm a Jew and not a Muslim...mind answering my question about the name? I can't find any good info on the net.

Why were they waiting for another prophet, do you know? Usually it's the Messiah Jews are waiting for.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Cordoba Offline

Default Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by standing_on_one_foot
Does Muhammad's name have the "ch" (sort of like Bach, not like church) sound in it? (I think that sound exists in Arabic, yes?)
That sound "ch" exists in Arabic, but not in the name of the prophet, peace be upon him.

There was a PBS documentary a couple of years ago titled "Muhammad: Legacy of a Prophet" http://www.pbs.org/muhammad/

Did you watch it?

My Blog

Islam-Guide
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 PM

No, I haven't seen that. Interesting, is it?

The Hebrew word is machmad, with the "ch." It's entirely different than it would be with just the "h" (it's two different letters). So I have to say it seems unlikely it's referring to him.