• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What the restaurant industry needs...

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I've been a restaurant worker for most of my adult life (I'm 25). I'm quite familiar with the overall vibe of restaurant kitchens, as I spent my first few years job hopping, until I settled down where I'm at right now.

One thing that is extremely prevalent among restaurant workers is substance abuse. Both on and off the clock. Many come in drunk or high on other substances. My first job the managers would hand out opiates to turn us into super machines. This industry turned me into a junkie. I'm sober now. Took me a while, though.

Anyways, I think there are ways that the corporate structure of the restaurant industry can address this serious issue.

The first thing a restaurant corporation needs to do to be able to directly address the issue is to talk about it openly. First and foremost, this would help destigmatize drug use. Not that it's good, but that it's alright to seek help and that there is the fact that you should seek help. Many druggies have been so desensitized to drugs their whole life they don't even realize they need help.

One thing that needs to be brought up is the fact that restaurant workers are generally on the lower income level. And drug use is extremely prevalent among lower income folk, at least in my town. There is a critical overlap. The reason this is important is because the lower income individuals may not have access to treatment for their substance use. Such as insurance. So a corporation would benefit by providing both the resources and the information on how to get health insurance, such as state insurance.

To put it in short. There is a high turn over rate in the restaurant industry. People often get fired for on the clock usage if the managers are not using as well. And drugs ruin people's lives and make them quit as well.

If a corporation were to destigmatize getting treatment for drug use by talking about it, and were to provide information and resources to do so, then it would benefit both the company and the workers.

What do you think?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

While manual labor is no stranger to substance abuse due to its coming in first for opioid abuse, the facts are that restaurant workers have the highest incidence of alcoholism and the third-highest drug abuse rate among all professions. These problems span the gamut of employment, from dishwashers to chefs.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I've been a restaurant worker for most of my adult life (I'm 25). I'm quite familiar with the overall vibe of restaurant kitchens, as I spent my first few years job hopping, until I settled down where I'm at right now.
My husband is also a lifelong restaurant worker, starting in his early teens. He's 36 now.
One thing that is extremely prevalent among restaurant workers is substance abuse. Both on and off the clock. Many come in drunk or high on other substances. My first job the managers would hand out opiates to turn us into super machines. This industry turned me into a junkie. I'm sober now. Took me a while, though.
Absolutely. Its not uncommon for someone to be sent home for being too inebriated to work. And you're right, it is sometimes encouraged.

I feel management tends to look for people with addiction problems as well, because they're not always employable elsewhere and they can pay them less based on that.
Anyways, I think there are ways that the corporate structure of the restaurant industry can address this serious issue.

The first thing a restaurant corporation needs to do to be able to directly address the issue is to talk about it openly. First and foremost, this would help destigmatize drug use. Not that it's good, but that it's alright to seek help and that there is the fact that you should seek help. Many druggies have been so desensitized to drugs their whole life they don't even realize they need help.

One thing that needs to be brought up is the fact that restaurant workers are generally on the lower income level. And drug use is extremely prevalent among lower income folk, at least in my town. There is a critical overlap. The reason this is important is because the lower income individuals may not have access to treatment for their substance use. Such as insurance. So a corporation would benefit by providing both the resources and the information on how to get health insurance, such as state insurance.

To put it in short. There is a high turn over rate in the restaurant industry. People often get fired for on the clock usage if the managers are not using as well. And drugs ruin people's lives and make them quit as well.

If a corporation were to destigmatize getting treatment for drug use by talking about it, and were to provide information and resources to do so, then it would benefit both the company and the workers.

What do you think?
I don't think its a bad idea at all, but I think this is counting on management caring. Do you feel they do? Have you found it varies place to place?