• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is a scapular?

Scott1

2010037.jpg

A scapular is a necklace that hangs down both in front and in back, with a small, flat rectangular pendant at each end. Scapular comes from the Latin word scapula that means shoulder blade. It developed as a practical garment, protecting the habit during work, and was in time invested with spiritual significance, consecration or dedication to God.

A scapular is worn under clothing in an incospicuous way. Traditional scapulars are made out of brown cloth like the type of cloth worn by Carmelite nuns. They can also be made out of leather, various colored cloth, vinyl, or plastic.

Small scapulars derived that represent a certain devotion or spiritual idea from a community. These scapulars have two pieces of cloth (generally about an inch square), connected by cords and worn over the head. It often has a picture or a particular color, depending on the spirituality it stands for.

The Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel

The Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel is well known and favored by the Church. In many of the Blessed Mother's apparitions she also favored this scapular. It is adapted from the scapular of the Carmelite Order and represents a special Consecration to Our Lady under the title of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.

People who wear it practice a special devotion to Mary. In the past this was the Little Office of Our Lady, but today this can be commuted by any priest to the Rosary. The person also has a special entrustment of themselves to Mary for their salvation.

The entrustment, in fact, has been promised to those who faithfully wear the scapular: "Those who die wearing this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire."

Do not think that this is superstitious or magic, but in light of Catholic teaching that perseverance in faith, hope, and love are required for salvation. The scapular reminds us of this Christian obligation and of Mary's promise to help those consecrated to her obtain the grace of final perseverance.

Investment

When you have a scapular, it indicates a special devotion and consecration to Mary. You should never have it if you're not spiritual prepared to live in accordance with it.

The short form of investing or conferral consists of a priest or deacon taking a blessed scapular and while placing it over their head reciting with the person any Marian prayer (e.g. Hail Mary, Memorare, Salve Regina). The person is now invested. That means they are obligated to live a Christian life. They don't have any lists to join, though they are henceforth members of the Scapular Confraternity and share in its spiritual benefits (the prayers of the members).

No special daily practices are obliged, though someone consecrated to Mary, of which the scapular is THE sign, should live chastity unless married and recite the Rosary daily.

There is also a long form in the Book of Blessings, which is good for group investments. Every parish should have this ritual book.

Permission

For some years the Carmelite Order had permission from Rome to grant laity the Indult to enroll people. This permission is no longer given, but those who received the Indult in the past still have it. So, while laity may not bless a scapular, there are some lay people who can invest others, with a scapular previously blessed by a priest or deacon. Investing must be done with the cloth scapular. Those who wish to wear the medal can do so after investment. The scapular blessing attaches to each subsequent scapular. A new blessing isn't required. This is not true of the medal, each of which must be blessed by a priest or deacon.

Scott1

"Those who die wearing this scapular shall not suffer eternal fire!"
-Our Lady to St. Simon Stock

THE SABBATINE PRIVILEGE

The Blessed Virgin of Mt. Carmel has promised to save those who wear
the scapular from the fires of hell; She will also shorten their stay
in Purgatory if they should pass from this world still owing some debt
of punishment.

This promise is found in a Bull of Pope John XXII. The Blessed Virgin
appeared to him and, speaking of those who wear the Brown Scapular,
said: "I, the Mother of Grace, shall descend on the Saturday after
their death and whomsoever I shall find in Purgatory, I shall free, so
that I may lead them to the holy mountain of life everlasting."

The Blessed Virgin assigned certain conditions which must be
fulfilled:

1) Wear the Brown Scapular continuously.
2) Observe chastity according to one's state in life.
(Married/single)
3) Recite daily the "Little Office of the Blessed Virgin."
Or, A) To observe the fasts of the Church together with abstaining
from meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Or, B) With permission of a Priest to say five decades of Our
Lady's Most Holy Rosary.
Or, C) With permission of a Priest to substitute some other good
work.
Note: You cannot substitute for the first two conditions: wearing
the scapular; and, observing chastity.

Pope Benedict XV, the celebrated World War I Pontiff, granted 500 days
indulgence for devoutly kissing your scapular.

[Indulgence: The remission in whole or in part for the temporal
punishment due to sins; Remission of time spent in Purgatory.]

Scott1

[font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Short form of giving the scapular[/font]

[font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Receive this Scapular, a sign of your special relationship with Mary, the Mother of Jesus, whom you pledge to imitate. May it be a reminder to you of your dignity as a Christian in serving others and imitating Mary. Wear it as a sign of her protection and of belonging to the family of Carmel, voluntarily doing the will of God and devoting yourself to building a world true to his plan of community, justice and peace.[/font]

[font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]--------------------------------[/font]

[font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Carmelite Scapular is not:[/font]

• [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]a magical charm to protect you[/font]
  • [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]an automatic guarantee of salvation[/font]
  • [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]an excuse for not living up to the demands of the Christian life[/font]
[font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is a sign:[/font]

• [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]which has been approved by the Church for over seven centuries;[/font]
  • [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]which stands for the decision to [/font]
    • [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]follow Jesus like Mary:[/font]
    • [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]be open to God and to his will[/font]
    • [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]be guided by faith, hope, and love[/font]
    • [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to pray at all times[/font]
    • [font='Trebuchet MS', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]to discover God present in all that happens around us.[/font]

Ceridwen018

I went to a Catholic grade school. A nun came in to talk to us one day and passed around scapulars for everyone--brown ones for the boys, white ones for the girls. She told us that if we died wearing it, we wouldn't go to hell. It's kinda funny now that I think back--all of us kids wore ours religiously (pun intended) for about the first week after the visit, and then one by one we started to fall off the wagon. I found mine to be particularly itchy and uncomfortable, lol, and at the ripe age of 10 decided I'd take my chances and live on the edge with no scapular!