• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Take That Job And Shove It

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We've been hearing for some time that American businesses are having difficulty hiring employees for relatively low paying jobs. So far, this has been attributed to government assistance making it possible for people to not work.

But it appears that much of the issue may be based in many jobless people having found creative ways to get by at least as well as they did on subsistence wages, realizing how much more they enjoyed working for themselves, and reconfiguring their lives indefinitely, even if they have to work longer hours to make as much as the minimum wage job they were let go from last year.

I find this very encouraging. The quality of life appears to improve for those taking this route, as well as that of those taking the service jobs available, who will likely be paid better as employers realize that they're likely not going to get full crews for $7.25/hr ever again, and pay whatever is necessary to keep the keep their businesses open and supporting them and their families.

Comments?

From Here’s The Reason Why So Many Companies Are Looking To Employ, But No One Really Wants To Work There, As Shared By This TikToker Online

1-60ddca2715434__700.jpg

Bored Panda contacted @j.dkon to ask him a few questions on the matter. He was surprised to see his video gain so much attention. He also stated that “Being able to speak with so many people about an important topic is the main reason I create this kind of content. If it can help even one person in their journey for a better understanding, it’s worth it.”

2-60ddca2e63243__700.jpg

Since a lot of people are now thinking about doing and creating something on their own rather than getting back to working for big companies and businesses, @j.dkon was asked whether he can personally relate to this situation. He agreed that this situation is relatable and provided a few examples of companies that use their workers to an extent where they risk their mental and physical health, making modern slavery today’s reality: “it’s sickening to think this is where we are now, almost a modern-day serfdom.”

3-60ddca3501122__700.jpg

What can people expect in the future? Does it mean that everyone will become entrepreneurs or self-employed workers? Is labor shortage just a temporary setback? According to the TikTok user, “we’re entering a ‘new normal’ when it comes to labor and what individuals are willing to put up with.” He stated that during the tough times, when the pandemic hit, the government failed to help its citizen, so people had to think of how to get out of the situation on their own. This helped to realize that they don’t need to bow to “giant conglomerates.”

4-60ddca3b2e425__700.jpg

“We’re not ready to surrender the true economic freedom that we’ve tasted,” said the TikToker. He continued that “the labor shortage is the result of the atrocities that had been levied on workers for decades, and it’s going to continue until businesses get the message, or we have a full workers’ strike.” So it seems that now is the time people have started to fight for their rights and work the way that suits their personal needs best.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What can people expect in the future? Does it mean that everyone will become entrepreneurs or self-employed workers? Is labor shortage just a temporary setback?
Similarly, businesses will learn to cope with fewer workers. To some degree then many will have to keep working for themselves.

On the other hand there are always going to be some people willing to work for minimum wage. Not everybody can work for themselves whether it be because they lack training, competence, time or other resources.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
We've been hearing for some time that American businesses are having difficulty hiring employees for relatively low paying jobs. So far, this has been attributed to government assistance making it possible for people to not work.

But it appears that a lot of the issue may be based in many jobless people having found creative ways to get by at least as well as they did on subsistence wages, realized how much more they enjoyed working for themselves, and reconfigured their lives indefinitely, even if they have to work longer hours to make as much as the minimum wage job they were let go from last year.

I find this very encouraging. The quality of life appears to improve for those taking this route, and that of those taking the service jobs available will likely be paid better as employers realize that they're likely not going to get full crews for $7.25/hr ever again, and will compete with one another for labor, paying whatever is necessary to keep the keep their businesses open and supporting them and their families.

Comments?

From Here’s The Reason Why So Many Companies Are Looking To Employ, But No One Really Wants To Work There, As Shared By This TikToker Online

1-60ddca2715434__700.jpg

Bored Panda contacted @j.dkon to ask him a few questions on the matter. He was surprised to see his video gain so much attention. He also stated that “Being able to speak with so many people about an important topic is the main reason I create this kind of content. If it can help even one person in their journey for a better understanding, it’s worth it.”

2-60ddca2e63243__700.jpg

Since a lot of people are now thinking about doing and creating something on their own rather than getting back to working for big companies and businesses, @j.dkon was asked whether he can personally relate to this situation. He agreed that this situation is relatable and provided a few examples of companies that use their workers to an extent where they risk their mental and physical health, making modern slavery today’s reality: “it’s sickening to think this is where we are now, almost a modern-day serfdom.”

3-60ddca3501122__700.jpg

What can people expect in the future? Does it mean that everyone will become entrepreneurs or self-employed workers? Is labor shortage just a temporary setback? According to the TikTok user, “we’re entering a ‘new normal’ when it comes to labor and what individuals are willing to put up with.” He stated that during the tough times, when the pandemic hit, the government failed to help its citizen, so people had to think of how to get out of the situation on their own. This helped to realize that they don’t need to bow to “giant conglomerates.”

4-60ddca3b2e425__700.jpg

“We’re not ready to surrender the true economic freedom that we’ve tasted,” said the TikToker. He continued that “the labor shortage is the result of the atrocities that had been levied on workers for decades, and it’s going to continue until businesses get the message, or we have a full workers’ strike.” So it seems that now is the time people have started to fight for their rights and work the way that suits their personal needs best.
I agree, and why should so much of the money go to the investors but not the "grunts" doing most of the front-line work. After all, without them the business goes nowhere fast.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Once the workers got away from the abusive customers who refused to wear masks for the protection of the employees and the bosses who refused to take measures to protect their employees before the (mostly younger) employees were even allowed to get vaccinated, the relief from the stress was worth more than the pittance wages. Both the toxic customers and unconcerned bosses showed their true colors, and no one wants to work in such a toxic environment.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

But it appears that a lot of the issue may be based in many jobless people having found creative ways to get by at least as well as they did on subsistence wages, realized how much more they enjoyed working for themselves, and reconfigured their lives indefinitely, even if they have to work longer hours to make as much as the minimum wage job they were let go from last year.

I find this very encouraging. The quality of life appears to improve for those taking this route, and that of those taking the service jobs available will likely be paid better as employers realize that they're likely not going to get full crews for $7.25/hr ever again, and will compete with one another for labor, paying whatever is necessary to keep the keep their businesses open and supporting them and their families.

Comments?

1-60ddca2715434__700.jpg

2-60ddca2e63243__700.jpg

3-60ddca3501122__700.jpg

4-60ddca3b2e425__700.jpg

I heartily approve of more people going into business
for themselves. Why, you ask? They become capitalists!
And they're ripe for conversion to the Libertarian Party.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I don't find I have a ton of skills that don't require spending money in order to make money. However, I found that when I Ebayed stuff, it generated money. And it was real simple. So it just seems there may be something for everyone. The hard part is finding what that is. I support people working for themselves as it creates jobs, even if the job it creates is their own.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't find I have a ton of skills that don't require spending money in order to make money. However, I found that when I Ebayed stuff, it generated money. And it was real simple. So it just seems there may be something for everyone. The hard part is finding what that is. I support people working for themselves as it creates jobs, even if the job it creates is their own.
My problem is always getting buyers. I can do the work, but it tends to not go very far when you just aren't getting people to give you their money.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
My problem is always getting buyers. I can do the work, but it tends to not go very far when you just aren't getting people to give you their money.

Depends on the item. Electronics and certain yard sale items sell. If it's home made, it kind of requires a sort of branding and it's in competition with other items.

Shadow Wolf

I do know over 90% of where I see "now hiring" signs at I don't want to go back to them. Food service is a no. Retail is a no. Low wage manual labor is a no.
Rideshare driving may not be the best thing, but I'm still making good money, enjoy driving, have a car that's becoming a tuner, and it's been great for conversation practice, confidence development, and recalibrating automated responses of high anxiety when dealing with people due to years of abuse.
And I could go use my degree, in mental health, but it's a ton of stress for little pay still having a bachelor's degree.

Shadow Wolf

Depends on the item. Electronics and certain yard sale items sell. If it's home made, it kind of requires a sort of branding and it's in competition with other items.
I had a suggestive selling contest stolen from me, in that I did have it won but a coworker had gave a friend money to buy enough Reese's Eggs to put her ahead (a few boxes of them), but I won it by not nagging the regulars about it, who I knew already know we have them for sale, everyone mentions them, I stopped, and they started buying them from me because I didn't bother them about them. Otherwise I couldn't sell a Zippo or torch lighter on a windy day.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When you have kids at home who'd otherwise be in school. When day care centers are closed. When you can't afford day-care even if there is an open center....

74x12

But it appears that much of the issue may be based in many jobless people having found creative ways to get by at least as well as they did on subsistence wages, realizing how much more they enjoyed working for themselves, and reconfiguring their lives indefinitely, even if they have to work longer hours to make as much as the minimum wage job they were let go from last year.

I find this very encouraging. The quality of life appears to improve for those taking this route, as well as that of those taking the service jobs available, who will likely be paid better as employers realize that they're likely not going to get full crews for $7.25/hr ever again, and pay whatever is necessary to keep the keep their businesses open and supporting them and their families.

Comments?

1-60ddca2715434__700.jpg

2-60ddca2e63243__700.jpg

3-60ddca3501122__700.jpg

4-60ddca3b2e425__700.jpg

It is reminiscent of modern serfdom. Reminds me of how pay was better and human rights in general after the bubonic plague hit England in the middle ages because of scarcity of workers. I'm not sure it will last though.

Jeremiah Ames

Similarly, businesses will learn to cope with fewer workers. To some degree then many will have to keep working for themselves.

On the other hand there are always going to be some people willing to work for minimum wage. Not everybody can work for themselves whether it be because they lack training, competence, time or other resources.

so, you’re saying, unscrupulous, greedy corporate ceos can count on a sufficient supply of slaves to work for substandard pay?

not very nice life in that vision, except for the greedy few

but there are places that show a better vision of life for all people

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see it as such a stark and terrible situation relative to the past or relative to other cultures. There are ups and downs.

I don't view employees as slaves. They can quit, and no one is forced to bear children for their employer. Where our system falls short is in healthcare, severance pay and in other areas of compensation such as education. These areas can improve, so there is no need to shoot the horse.