• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Some reflections

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have been reflecting on my online and offline experiences since I became a member of RF five years ago. I used to be very shy, and others noticed it too. I would like to say that I have overcome my shyness, but I am not sure if that is true. I still feel shy, but in a different way.

When I joined the forums in 2019, I admit that I made some silly and irrational comments at times, often mixed with pop culture references. However, whenever I felt embarrassed or regretful, I had people reassure me that they understood my points of view, and that they even sometimes saw merit in them.

Back then, I was shy in a way that made me nervous around others, but now I think I am shy in a way that makes me more cautious about what I say.

For instance, I rarely make strong claims these days, because I anticipate a debate. Even if the debate is respectful and civil, it might focus more on the wording and the definitions than on the substance and the implications of what I actually said. This does not always happen, but sometimes, I find such a debate and its possibility unappealing, so I keep my thoughts to myself.

I also find it hard to follow and participate in debates with many people involved at the same time.

These are some reflections from someone who has been mostly busy with offline lately, but who has not stopped thinking about things every now and then.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
This thread will be my 2024 journal for random musings.

Recently, I got an intriguing tip (not on RF) - it was "be more concise, use shorter sentences, and ask more questions". They say this will improve my communication and social skills.

I'm curious if it works. Anyway, writing more briefly couldn't hurt.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Reflecting on my journey with pseudoscience, I've come to recognize the complexity of my relationship with it. There was a time when I found myself a bit captivated by its allure, of tarot cards, the paranormal, etc - somewhat believing in the possibilities it presented. However, as I've grown and learned, my perspective has shifted. I've become more critical, sometimes even dismissive, of certain ideas.

Yet, I realize that this firm stance can be limiting, especially in social settings where such topics sometimes arise. I'm actively working on finding a balance - maintaining a healthy skepticism without closing the door on friendly discussions. To me, it's about respecting different viewpoints and engaging in conversations that broaden our horizons, even if the both of us don't subscribe to all of the same ideas.

So, I'd say this subject is still a "work in progress" for me.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Have you ever noticed how some people seem to possess a magnetic charm or charisma that draws others to them? It's a quality that's hard to define but impossible to ignore. I've observed this phenomenon enough times to realize that charisma can vary greatly from person to person.

While I haven't delved deeply into the study of charisma, I'm beginning to see the great value in understanding it better.

If you've ever felt the same way or have insights into the nature of charisma, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Have you ever noticed how some people seem to possess a magnetic charm or charisma that draws others to them? It's a quality that's hard to define but impossible to ignore. I've observed this phenomenon enough times to realize that charisma can vary greatly from person to person.

While I haven't delved deeply into the study of charisma, I'm beginning to see the great value in understanding it better.

If you've ever felt the same way or have insights into the nature of charisma, I'd love to hear your thoughts!
I was born with it. ;)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

All I know is that the very best compliment anyone ever gave me was "You are a people magnet." I don't even know if it's true but I rather suspect it is. I lost my darling husband nearly four years ago and to be honest, I feel sometimes like I am a shadow of who I used to be but people still seek me out and want to be friends with me, which frankly blows my mind!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
All I know is that the very best compliment anyone ever gave me was "You are a people magnet." I don't even know if it's true but I rather suspect it is. I lost my darling husband nearly four years ago and to be honest, I feel sometimes like I am a shadow of who I used to be but people still seek me out and want to be friends with me, which frankly blows my mind!

There are moments in life that can cast long shadows, leaving one to grapple with a version of themselves that feels diminished, a mere silhouette of who they once were. I've been there, in the aftermath of a setback that felt like it shattered my world into fragments too numerous to count.

But piece by piece, through the years, I've been collecting those fragments, each a sliver of that light, slowly reconstructing a life that, while a bit different, is still quite valuable.

Something I've hesitated to pick up again is a thread from years ago, a digital time capsule of honesty where I laid bare my personal testimony. It was raw, unfiltered, and ultimately, overwhelming, both for myself and possibly for others. The sheer volume of my own story made it a challenge to convey with the coherence it deserved.

Now, I stand at a crossroads, wondering if I should revisit that thread. It haunts me, not because I regret being open about things, but because I question if there's more to say, more clarity to offer. Yet, there's a part of me that knows such is a difficult path, one that might reopen old emotional wounds.

Should I revisit it? I'm not sure. But what I do know is whether or not I choose to revisit that lengthy, can of worms of a thread, I also try to move forward, one step at a time.