• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MysticSang'ha's dance studio slated to open Sept. '08

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I'll be honest and say that I'm terrified. :help:

But, I'm officially declaring my intentions here to open my business next year after doing some market research for location, on developing the schedule for classes, and on hiring a teacher or two and maybe an office assistant - if the business can afford to do so..........I'm assuming that I'll be shouldering the operation for a while at first.

Steve and I originally had planned on opening my studio in ten years or so, but he has convinced me to go ahead and take the plunge now. His argument that we're not getting any younger and that we'd be in a better financial position for him to retire at 55 if the studio had more time to be established in the community.

Plus, I have bigger plans for the studio than merely offering technique classes, a Nutcracker ballet, and a summer recital program. I aim one day to expand the studio so that it can sponsor semi-professional and touring professional dance companies. So, let's just say I have big dreams as an Artistic Director for my business.

I'm terrified and excited at the same time because this is a lifelong dream of mine. The studio will be a strict-disciplined one with ballet and pointe at it's core (I'm not certified by the Cecchetti council, but I'll mix in the Italian method with Russian and French techniques). Jazz, tap, modern, some electives like musical, bellydance, ballroom, and Afro-Carribean are classes that I wish to be offered, too.

The studio will not embark on any competitive dance whatsoever. We will be a school that seeks to focus purely on building the foundational skills of technique for artistic performance. The students will hopefully get their competitive juices flowing by learning the ins and outs of auditions - there's enough competition there for job opportunities IMO.

I don't see myself as a ballet mistress who will be carrying a switch with her to swat the students when they become lazy with their technique, but I may seem that way with my words, my look, and my hands when I do my rounds of corrections during the barre exercises. There's no need for me to get the whip out. ;)

I've been told endlessly that I have more than enough experience under my belt to establish myself as a local authority............I've been asked to speak by our local Philharmonic on musical dance choreography this Tuesday to retired professionals from around the country. So, that might not be such an issue.

*takes deep breath*

Here I go, ladies and gentlemen. Wish me luck on this next step of my professional journey. I'll give updates when I can. :)

Peace,
Mystic

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Cheers to a fellow entrepaneur! ( I probably didn't spell that right) :drunk: :hug:

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
It's only natural to feel nervous because humans are generally anxious about change. I'm sure when you start you'll settle into it easily. Your plans sound well thought out and you seem very knowledgable. Don't worry, everything will fall into place. :yes:

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Congratulations!

If I may stick an oar in here - my daughter spent near to a decade with a studio here in Houston. The dance curriculum was awesome, the owner/principal teacher was fantastic, etc. The big problem was administrative - she either didn't or couldn't find someone who could set up a reliable system to keep track of who had paid what & when, or signed up for what & when, and it caused problems for the entire decade. Prices seemed to change randomly depending on whom you spoke to, payments weren't recorded, checks would not be deposited for months and then several all at once, we would miss the first couple of classes since we weren't notified of schedule changes, and so on.

The artistic direction is a must, of couse, but please don't neglect the administrative side of things - it can put the brakes on something that otherwise could go full speed.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Thank you so much everyone! :takeabow:

Congratulations!

If I may stick an oar in here - my daughter spent near to a decade with a studio here in Houston. The dance curriculum was awesome, the owner/principal teacher was fantastic, etc. The big problem was administrative - she either didn't or couldn't find someone who could set up a reliable system to keep track of who had paid what & when, or signed up for what & when, and it caused problems for the entire decade. Prices seemed to change randomly depending on whom you spoke to, payments weren't recorded, checks would not be deposited for months and then several all at once, we would miss the first couple of classes since we weren't notified of schedule changes, and so on.

The artistic direction is a must, of couse, but please don't neglect the administrative side of things - it can put the brakes on something that otherwise could go full speed.

I hope I'm ahead of you........I'm currently trying to enlist the help of one of my college friends who earned her Masters in Arts Administration after we both graduated in the same class with Bachelors Degrees in Dance. ;)

Right now she's so busy she can't see straight, but she promised we could meet some time in the summer in order to start working on a viable business plan when it'll come to taxes, zoning, insurance, and payroll. I have a VERY basic working knowledge of running a business since I was so involved with my dad's office back in the day, but I know I can't simply rely on that and my two years of macro and micro economics in college. :D

It's part of the reason why I'm scared, since I'm a wiz at one end of this business, but the administrative duties I would just as soon partner with someone and let them handle the paperwork. If that can't happen, I better learn REAL quick how to do it myself. :cool:

Peace,
Mystic