• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does Your Introversion/Extroversion Significantly Manifest in Your Online Interactions?

exchemist

Veteran Member
For years, I thought I was an introvert. I'm a fairly quiet person, and that's kind of what an introvert gets pegged as. The person not saying much, sitting a bit aside from everyone else.

But when I'd read about needing to be away from others, and 'recharging', this didn't make sense. Honestly, I feel kind of 'dead' alone, and I feel that most of my 'recharging' comes from being around other people. I had to consider that maybe I was more of an extrovert... just a less noisy one.

In person, I like to question, and I like to listen. I hesitate a little to start conversations with strangers, but not as much as when I was young(I struggled with severe social anxiety). Generally, I try to speak in a way that is not offensive, and I find that while I get along with most people, I unnerve new people a little. People don't get too rough with me until they can figure me out(a huge advantage).

Online, its a little different. People get mean online. On an online platform, some of that childish social anxiety returns. I think twice before I speak. In person, people are not likely to verbally assault me(you never know who will haul off and hit you), but online, people say things they would never say in person. And I remember that...
I would not have thought you were introverted. But it may be relative. You are in the States where, to European eyes, a sort of fake, fizzy, mindless exuberance seems to be demanded most of the time. At least that's what I felt when I was in Houston - maybe it is not universal.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm not sure if I would consider myself an introvert, and if I am, there is likely little evidence of that here.

But those who encounter me IRL might consider me an introvert because I'm more the quiet observer who loves solitude. While I have no problem talking it up to a complete stranger and am the farthest thing from shy or bashful (I could have my daughter attest to that :D), I tend to be more of a listener and tend not speak unless unless spoken to or unless I have something of use to contribute.
I'm gonna pull a "me too" on this post. I'm a bit of an anomally in that I can be assertive and extroverted or very quiet and introverted. I am what is known as a "reluctant leader" and am fully capable of taking on a leadership role but feel better when someone else is doing it. That said, when I first entered into therapy and counselling, I was very, very introverted as I didn't want to give any secrets away. It took several months for them to chip away at my resolve but finally they were able to break through. Fast forward, four years and now I am one of the leaders and I do not isolate anywhere near as much as I used to. I push myself to lead other guys out of THEIR isolation. Things do not get much more real than this pastime I have discovered. I hope this answers your question.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I would not have thought you were introverted. But it may be relative. You are in the States where, to European eyes, a sort of fake, fizzy, mindless exuberance seems to be demanded most of the time. At least that's what I felt when I was in Houston - maybe it is not universal.
Yeah, I think that's fitting. In the States, if you say you're extroverted, it means you're high energy, loud, and possibly enjoy dancing on tables. Its hard to get things across if you're a mild mannered extrovert, or a charismatic introvert.

Oh. Do you remember me calling you a ****? If you do, I didn't. Honest. You're more of a **** really. Maybe I should stop digging.
Meh, lets be honest... I'm probably both of those things...

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
For years, I thought I was an introvert. I'm a fairly quiet person, and that's kind of what an introvert gets pegged as. The person not saying much, sitting a bit aside from everyone else.

But when I'd read about needing to be away from others, and 'recharging', this didn't make sense. Honestly, I feel kind of 'dead' alone, and I feel that most of my 'recharging' comes from being around other people. I had to consider that maybe I was more of an extrovert... just a less noisy one.

In person, I like to question, and I like to listen. I hesitate a little to start conversations with strangers, but not as much as when I was young(I struggled with severe social anxiety). Generally, I try to speak in a way that is not offensive, and I find that while I get along with most people, I unnerve new people a little. People don't get too rough with me until they can figure me out(a huge advantage).

Online, its a little different. People get mean online. On an online platform, some of that childish social anxiety returns. I think twice before I speak. In person, people are not likely to verbally assault me(you never know who will haul off and hit you), but online, people say things they would never say in person. And I remember that...
Well, I think you’re one of the awesome ones here.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I'm not entirely sure that introverts or extroverts exist in any concrete or definable way.

I have taken the MBTI several times throughout my life and I consistently get INTP. I've also been noted as asocial. I have social anhedonia and a dismissive-avoidant attachment style, too, which makes me rather intensely asocial. I force myself to socialize, anyway.

I think it probably does manifest in my posts, because I focus a lot more on the content of posts that I'm replying to than the person writing them or the emotions conveyed by them. I'm mostly interested in having detached conversations about high-level concepts and, for the longest time, I completely avoided this section of the forum to focus exclusively on the more fact-oriented religious debate and discussion threads.

I think I probably initiate more DMs than I receive, despite that. Part of the reason for that is because I force myself to socialize, even if I think I'm probably incapable of forming strong sentimental attachments or even enjoying socializing with other people. I'm not here to socialize, though; I'm here to have thoughtful conversations, even if I have to take a poorly thought-out argument far too seriously in order to forcibly elevate it to something more interesting.

I don't have social anxiety or anything. I just don't particularly care for other people. That doesn't mean I can't get anything out of communicating with them, but I think it does change the content and nature of those communications.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Introvert/extravert. It depends on several things whether i make first contact or not. Interesting (yes), subject matter (maybe) religious and/or political leaning (maybe), the forum/thread (ties with interesting) (maybe)

Does this mean I'm an introvert or extrovert... Meh. I'm only here for the free cake ;-)

Yerda

Veteran Member
I'm a fairly extroverted person. Typically, I'll chat to anyone who stands close enough - especially randoms on nights out. And about anything. I'm a genuinely social beastie about 90% of the time. I think I just like people (but I prefer dogs).

On here I'd say I spend much more time reading than posting. I spend more time thinking about what I'm saying and what I'm responding to whereas in real life I'm just winging every conversation (and most other things).

anna.

it's the storm before the calm
My thread about personality types has brought this question to mind after seeing the various results there: do you find that your introversion or extroversion manifests online in any significant way?

For example, if you're very introverted in person, do you also hesitate to initiate online conversations with people or send them a message to get to know them for the first time? Or if you're extroverted, do you find yourself often feeling inclined to start online conversations and chat with people?

Basically, I'm interested to know how much these two personality traits manifest in online-only interactions, if at all. I know that as an extrovert, I often initiate online conversations and love talking to people whether online or in person, so it does manifest for me both online and offline.

To a certain extent, yes, my introversion extends to my online life, in that there are a lot of conversations I'll pass by even if I'm interested in what people are saying. I just don't always want to enter into a conversation I'll have to continue, even if I might have something to say. But - I'm also inconsistent, and will surprise myself, and I actually do enjoy meeting and interacting with people online that I'd never run into in real life.
In real life, I like my solitude, and large groups and socializing drain my batteries all the way down.

anna.

I am mostly the same IRL as I am online.
Exceptions being forum rules that do not allow me to voice my full opinions, thoughts, etc.
I am much more blunt and to the point offline.
But I have to admit that the forum rules have helped improve my politically correct "don't hurt their feelings" skills.

I feel more free to say what I think online. In real life, I'm an outlier in my family and social circles which are mostly conservative and religious.

anna.

I'm unsure whether I fit introversion but probably.

One time my job made all the workers fill out surveys to gauge our personalities. This was a Bell company, and they pulled various psychological tricks on employees frequently, so this was just another thing. We were guinea pigs for management experiments perhaps. Anyways I didn't have a great personality, so I didn't want everyone to know what mine was, but whatever my result it was going to be displayed on my desk permanently. Everyone would see it. This invasive survey irked me so much that I filled out my survey with the better-than-me traits that I intended to have in the near future, so I got INTFS which was a very respectable personality type. I had perhaps exaggerated what kinds of traits I could attain unto. From this survey I received a cardboard plaque with the large letters INTFS so set upon my desktop, but on my forehead was written 'Liar'.

That's horrifying, to think the company would force employees to display their personality test results.

anna.

No, it's not universal. :)